Founded in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1895 by Edward Golden and Charles Anderson as "Golden-Anderson Valve & Specialty Company", its earliest products were valves for boiler works. The company grew by adding products and expanding into other markets. By 1956 the founders were deceased, and the company was acquired by a small group of executive management who focused GA on the specialized needs of the growing municipal water and wastewater market.
In 1974 the company was re-named GA Industries, Inc. and in 1979 moved into new facilities in Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania approximately 25 miles (40 km) north of Pittsburgh. Over the next 25 years GA expanded its Cranberry facility several times, added second manufacturing plant 5 miles (8 km) away in Mars, Pennsylvania and converted virtually all of its production to computer numerically controlled (CNC) machinery. GA Industries, Inc. also established manufacturing licensees to serve certain international markets and expanded its product offering through new product introductions and acquisitions.
On February 1, 2008, GA Industries, Inc. was acquired by Rexnord Corporation, headquartered in Milwaukee, WI. The acquisition not only expanded Rexnord's presence in the water and wastewater market but also strengthened GA Industries' position in the engineering, manufacturing and delivery of high-quality products to meet the challenging needs of the municipal and industrial water and wastewater market.
In December 2011 Rexnord acquired VAG GmbH of Mannheim, Germany, an internationally renowned manufacturer of highly engineered water control valves with a primary focus on dam and hydropower applications. VAG, GA Industries and Rodney Hunt formed Rexnord's "Valve and Gate Group."
GA Industries name was changed to VAG USA, LLC and operated as the US-based subsidiary of VAG GmbH.